Anuko Time Tracker
is a simple, easy to use, open source, web-based time tracking application written in PHP. It allows you to track the time that employees, colleagues, or teammates spend working on projects and tasks. It needs a web server such as Apache, IIS, etc. to run on, and a database to keep the data in, such as MySQL.
How to Try Time Tracker
We provide free hosting
of Time Tracker to teams up to 5 users. So, the easiest way to try Time Tracker is to create a new team here. Here are the steps:
Use the Create Team option to try Time Tracker
- After registering, create at least one project using the Projects tab. That's it. Now you are ready to track work time on the Time page and run reports on the Reports page. Here is how the time entry page looks like.
Time Tracker screenshot - time entry page
Time Tracker Installation Requirements
If you need to install Time Tracker on your own you'll need a few things:
- An access to the system to install it on.
- A web server that can run PHP code such as Apache, IIS, Tomcat, or others.
- A database server such as MySQL.
See Installation Guide
for more details. If you don't want to bother with installing / configuring Time Tracker, here are a few other options.
Time Tracker Operating Systems
Time Tracker is a PHP application that runs on a web server and uses a database. Therefore, you can run it on any system where such environment exists - Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, Mac OS, and others.
Time Tracking Modes
Time Tracker provides two modes for time tracking: projects
and projects and tasks
. You can select the tracking mode on the Profile
page in Time Tracker.
Use Tracking mode on the Profile page to control how to track work time
- Projects - time is tracked against projects that your define. Each time record has an associated project field.
- Projects and Tasks - time is tracked against projects and tasks. Each time entry is connected to a project id, and a task id.
tracking mode for simple time tracking of how much time each project took. Use a more advanced projects and tasks
mode for more sophisticated tracking. This mode can give you a breakdown of how time spent on each project relates to different tasks.
Time Tracker Usage Examples
Consultant - Tracking Work Time for Client
This is a very common scenario of time tracking for a consultant or a freelancer who is engaged with a client. In this situation you have a one-person team, one or more clients and projects. As you work for customer, you log your hours in Time Tracker. When the work is done, you bill the client by generating an invoice in Time Tracker. Free hosting of Time Tracker is best suited for this scenario.
- Use free hosting of Time Tracker.
- Log work hours and minutes while working for client.
- Invoice the client when the work is finished.
Small Company - Tracking Time by Projects
In this scenario you have a small group of people working for you. You need to calculate their work hours for payroll, or to bill another company for services provided. If your team is 5 persons or less you can use free hosting of Time Tracker.
- Use free hosting of Time Tracker if your group is 5 persons or less, or
- Install Time Tracker internally.
Bigger Company - Time Tracking by Projects and Tasks with Custom Fields
In a bigger company you may want to know more how work time was spent. Perhaps not only by project, but by task too. You may also want to define a custom field for time records to characterize them even more. As you have more than 5 employees, free hosting does not apply here. You need to install Time Tracker on your own or pay a hosting fee.
- Install Time Tracker internally (free), or pay a hosting fee.
- Use project and tasks time tracking mode.
- Use custom fields if necessary (optional plugin on the Profile page).
SR&ED Time Tracking - Canada
Canadian businesses may claim Scientific Research and Experimental Development tax credit (SR&ED) for certain activities. For example, when a company invests in scientific research, some of this effort may be eligible for a tax incentive. You can't claim all time as SR&ED, only a portion that qualifies. CRA will also want time logs proving that the records are eligible for SR&ED.
- Use internally installed or hosted Time Tracker.
- Use a custom field in Time Tracker for SR&ED related notes.
Using Time Tracker with SR&ED custom field
Customized Time Tracker
If the features offered in Time Tracker do not fully satisfy your needs, you may customize it either on your own or with someone else's help. Feel free to inquire about the cost of needed customization.
We welcome customization requests that are general enough to be integrated in Time Tracker under the existing open source license. And if you have a very specific request you can hire a freelance PHP developer.
Mobile Access to Time Tracker
You can use a mobile device for time tracking. Time Tracker automatically determines if you use a mobile device and redirects you to a mobile page.
The following subset of features is implemented for mobile access:
- Time entry.
- Viewing what is recorded for a day, with simple sequential navigation 1 day forward and back.
- Editing time entries.
- Deleting time entries.
Mobile time entry page in Time Tracker
Time Tracker Features Summary
Here is a brief outline of the features available in Time Tracker.
- Open source PHP application that works over the web.
- It tracks work time for groups of people.
- You can track time by projects or by projects and tasks.
- You can use custom fields in time records.
- View reports and send them as emails.
- Clients and Invoices plugins are available.
- Use the Charts plugin to see time allocation by project or by task.
- Users are authenticated against their password hashes in the database. LDAP authentication against an external LDAP server (Windows AD, OpneLDAP, Sun Directory Server) is also possible via an additional LDAP Authentication module.
- Localized into many languages.
Options for Tracking Work Time
We would appreciate any feedback you might have about Time Tracker. You can give us your thoughts by going to support forum. Thank you for your comments.
Need more information? See Time Tracker User Guide
Install Time Tracker on your own server. Free!
This option gives you ultimate flexibility at no cost.
If you need install assistance you can order a Support Incident
Use free hosting of Time Tracker.
Free hosting is available to individuals and small groups up to 5 users.
Commercial usage is ok.
Buy VMware virtual appliance with pre-installed Time Tracker.
Virtual appliances are ready-to-run applications packaged with an optimized operating system in a virtual machine.
Use Time Tracker plugins for additional functionality.
For example, if you need to authenticate users in Windows Active Directory you can purchase an LDAP Authentication plugin.