How do I add a city to the city database now?

Discussion forum about Anuko World Clock
cornan

How do I add a city to the city database now?

Post by cornan » Thu May 21, 2015 9:45 am

A few years ago Anuko World Clock used a known city database, and I carefully added my city to the database (it is still there).

Now I cannot find any reference on how to add a city. I cannot even find an out-of-date reference for what I did previously.

How can I add a city to the Anuko World Clock database?

My current city is Coral Springs, Florida.

One source lists the location as: 26° 16' 14" N / 80° 16' 14" W

Thanks!

=========================================================================
NOTE: The forum search is very aggressive about deleting "common" words, for example "database" and "add", so it was very difficult to search the forum about the city database or adding cities.

Nik

Re: How do I add a city to the city database now?

Post by Nik » Thu May 21, 2015 3:57 pm

cornan wrote:How can I add a city to the Anuko World Clock database? My current city is Coral Springs, Florida.
Coral Spring is in the city database as of World Clock 5.8.1.4669 or later.

To add a new city to the database: there are a couple of ways.

1) Via the "Add City" feature on http://www.citytimezones.info website - first filter by country (such as United States), then use the "Add City" button.
2) Via http://www.cityphotos.info website by adding a photo to a new city. This has an advantage that a city photo will also become available in World Clock.

Once the change is approved it propagates to World Clock software eventually.

Unofficial way is to hack around with database files locally in your World Clock install directory. There are 3 of them: cities.txt (a list of cities), timezones.txt (a list of timezones), and tz_changes.txt (a list of known future timezone changes). If you want to add a city then change the cities.txt file accordingly by adding a new line for your city. Best to borrow a line from an already existing city in your time zone, copy and paste it, and then change the city name and coordinates. Note that any software update to World Clock will overwrite the database, so it is best to go with the normal procedure above, or disable updates. The official procedure also makes your change available to others, and is recommended. You'll have to restart World Clock after changing the database file.

Hope it helps.

cornan

Re: How do I add a city to the city database now?

Post by cornan » Fri May 22, 2015 9:34 am

Thanks very much on both accounts! I'll capture this information for future use.