Not Working on Win10 Anniversary Edition

Discussion forum about Anuko World Clock

Not Working on Win10 Anniversary Edition

Postby Moirty » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:44 pm

Unfortunately...The Win 10 Anniversary edition downloaded yesterday and WC only partially functions. I receive the following error:

"Taskbar clock replacement is not supported in this version of Windows."

WC will then start but place all my taskbar clocks on the desktop using the analog format.

I hope you find a work around or MS re-enables this capability soon.

-bs
Moirty

Re: Not Working on Win10 Anniversary Edition

Postby wrc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Moirty wrote:"Taskbar clock replacement is not supported in this version of Windows."

That's exactly what the problem is. Do not use Windows 10.
wrc

Postby admin » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:46 am

To uninstall Windows 10 Anniversary Update, follow the instructions in the first link below, or call Microsoft support to see if they are able to help.

> I am pleased to say I have my Anuko clock back up and running on my taskbar. I did so by returning to the previous build, which I did with the help of the Microsoft support centre.

Instructions can also be found here:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/uninstall ... ary-update

I thought you may like this info to post on your website or to answer similar inquiries. Or tell your customers to do as I did and call Microsoft so they can see this is annoying people, so won't do it again.

MS support numbers: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/gp/ ... rs/en-nz#n
admin

Postby admin » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:16 pm

Looks like the page with MS support phone numbers is now removed after we published it. Apparently, they don't want to help you roll back or hear about it, unless I am missing something.

If any from MS Support reads this and can provide instructions how a user can obtain help from the mothership about uninstalling a Windows Update, please do so.

Because a $300 support incident is not for everyone.
admin

Postby peter » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:59 pm

This link with Microsoft Customer Service phone numbers seems to work for me at the moment: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/hel ... ne-numbers. I found the page by searching for "customer service phone numbers" string on https://support.microsoft.com website.

A little summary for some countries in case the page becomes unavailable:

Australia 13 20 58 (Domestic)
Canada +1 877 568 2495, 905 568 0434
France (0)9 70 01 90 90
Germany +49 (0)180 6 67 22 55
Netherlands +31 (0)20 500 1500
New Zealand 0800 800 004, 64 9 368 5680
UK +44 (0)344 800 2400
USA +1 (800) 642 7676

Below is a screenshot that shows support numbers for countries starting with U such as the USA and the United Kingdom.

microsoft_custom_service_hone_numbers_usa.png
Microsoft support phone numbers - USA, UK, etc.
microsoft_custom_service_hone_numbers_usa.png (83.23 KiB) Viewed 1716 times

Support numbers for Australia, etc.

microsoft_support_phone_numbers_australia.png
Microsoft support phone numbers - Australia
microsoft_support_phone_numbers_australia.png (89.34 KiB) Viewed 1717 times

New Zealand, etc.

microsoft_customer_service_phone_new_zealand.png
Microsoft customer service phones - New Zealand, etc.
microsoft_customer_service_phone_new_zealand.png (70.99 KiB) Viewed 1716 times

Hope it helps.
peter

Postby Macko » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:33 am

I had the same problem. I have 4 computers and luckily I checked the first one before upgrading the others. After lengthy - and totally unfruitful - discussion with MS I decided to leave the other computers on V1511 until I figured something out. This is what I did: I allowed WC to load the normal analogue clock first, then changed it to "on the taskbar". It changed its position to just above the taskbar where the version number was showing. Then with the aid of the mouse I moved it up the desktop to where the analogue clock used to sit. I repeated the process to put a second clock there to see the Rio times so I could watch some of the competition. It is less than an inch in total (that's 2cm, depending on where you reside - I'm from Down Under, btw) and interferes with nothing on the desktop. I'm attaching an example below. I also had the great pleasure of informing MS that I not only won't be upgrading to their Anniversary edition because of this, but also rolling back to V.1511 unless they change their attitude in this matter and SOON.
Attachments
Desktop.jpg
Desktop.jpg (826.54 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Macko

Postby Moirty » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:47 pm

As a suggestion....
In the absence of the taskbar clock, I've now configured WC onto my desktop but it's not nearly as elegant. It would be nice for World Clock to have an option to place clocks in a floating window on the desktop (ideally with narrow width edges). The window would provide a clean repository to hold all the WC clocks, it would be easily movable as a group and could be configured to float on top of other windows.

Yes, I'd prefer it back in the Win10 taskbar but I don't see MS making that change quickly. :evil:

Just a suggestion...
-bs
Moirty

Postby numloxx » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:54 am

Is there any way of getting WC to work again WITHOUT reverting to a previous Windows 10 version?
numloxx

Postby wrc » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:55 pm

numloxx wrote:Is there any way of getting WC to work again WITHOUT reverting to a previous Windows 10 version?

No, there is no way to make taskbar clock working again in this crap operating system. Do not use Windows 10 if you can.
wrc

Postby srdavis » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm disappointed that WC has given up - thrown in the towel and decided not to work on a reasonable fix on the desktop as they are no longer able to use the taskbar. this is short sighted. this has been a very helpful and elegant application i have used for years. putting up the error window at start up is a cheap and unelegant poke at MS. this is not helpful to users. hopefully enough user pressure will have Anuko figure this out.
srdavis

Postby numloxx » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:07 am

Yeah I too am a bit disappointed with this.
Can't fix it, so change your operating system.
Doesn't seem like a good excuse. I paid money to support a programmer who wrote software that I found to be very helpful and useful.
Hoping there will be an update to solve this issue in the future.
numloxx

Postby Thomas » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:12 pm

numloxx wrote:Yeah I too am a bit disappointed with this.
Can't fix it, so change your operating system.
Doesn't seem like a good excuse. I paid money to support a programmer who wrote software that I found to be very helpful and useful.
Hoping there will be an update to solve this issue in the future.

There is no good solution to this. Microsoft is going out of their ways to shoot itself in the foot with things like this, or other broken or dangerously screwed up stuff.

If you were a developer, would you invest your time and money into something that can go haywire in an instant next time they force an "update" upon their users?

Would you you continue to fix things knowing from their consistent track record of screwing things over and over multiple times?

The entire Microsoft ship is toxic and seems slowly sinking.

We need to move towards open source systems where you have at least some level of control. Perhaps open hardware systems even. Something you can fix yourself with your own hands and brains.

Perhaps, hardware clocks.
Thomas

Return to World Clock