Win10 Anniversary - another problem

Discussion forum about Anuko World Clock

Win10 Anniversary - another problem

Postby JulianNott » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:47 am

On my computer when World Clock is running, it freezes the clock in the taskbar. I uninstalled completely, did a fresh install with the latest version. Made sure it was not trying to put anything in the taksbar.

The clock in the taskbar shows the time the computer booted, then does not change until I exit World Clock. I have had it woring fine for years. Don't you just love microsoft?

Julian - Santa BarbarA CA
JulianNott

Re: Win10 Anniversary - another problem

Postby wrc » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:06 pm

JulianNott wrote:On my computer when World Clock is running, it freezes the clock in the taskbar. I uninstalled completely, did a fresh install with the latest version. Made sure it was not trying to put anything in the taksbar.

My guess you might be using an older copy of World Clock, which installs itself in taskbar but displays nothing, because the mechanism to do it is broken in Windows 10 Anniversary, thanks to fellows at Microsoft. Try using the latest version of World Clock that actually checks whether the OS is screwed up in this regard and if so, it will not bother installing itself in taskbar at all.

You can check your version by right-clicking on a clock and selecting About. The current version as of this moment is 6.0.0.5329, see also change log.

If you use an older version, uninstall it, then install newer version. Check if it shows correct version during installation (in the installer windows), and after install.

You can also rollback the Windows 10 Anniversary update if you are up to it, see another thread for Microsoft support numbers if you need to call them, or perhaps use a more decent OS, such as Windows 7 (but disable telementry updates, Windows 10 adware, and other crap coming out of Redmond lately).
wrc

Postby JulianNott » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:41 pm

Thank you very much. But sadly it it the current version, i.e. 6.0.0.5329. I did a complete clean install. Opening Preferences and clicking on "Appearance in the taskbar" shows "There are no clocks in the taskbar." but something is going on in the bottom corner of the screen. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Julian - Santa Barbara
JulianNott

Postby Nik » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:52 pm

JulianNott wrote:Thank you very much. But sadly it it the current version, i.e. 6.0.0.5329. I did a complete clean install. Opening Preferences and clicking on "Appearance in the taskbar" shows "There are no clocks in the taskbar." but something is going on in the bottom corner of the screen. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Julian - Santa Barbara

A few questions:

1) What is your Windows exact version?
2) Did you try to reboot to see if this fixes a problem.
3) Just to confirm we are dealing with the right World Clock version. Configure at least one clock to run in taskbar and restart World Clock. Do you see a warning message saying that the system no longer supports replacing a taskbar clock?
4) Please post a screenshot of your taskbar clock.
5) How does the right-click menu on the clock look like? Please post a screenshot. I'd like to know if it is from the system clock or from a World Clock's hook.dll (the menus are different). You can tell if it belongs to World Clock if it has the "About World Clock" on the bottom above the Exit. See attached pictures.
Attachments
system_clock_menu.png
System clock menu
system_clock_menu.png (26.63 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
world_clock_right_click_menu.png
World Clock menu
world_clock_right_click_menu.png (45.22 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
Nik

Postby JulianNott » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:44 pm

THIS IS INTERESTING…

Thank you for such a comprehensive set of questions.

1. Windows 10 version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3176936) Successfully Installed on 8/23/2016
2. Rebooted repeatedly trying to fix things and did a complete very clean install of WC.
3. With a taskbar clock installed I get the message "Taskbar clock replacement is not supported in this version of Windows"

4/5 Here is where it gets interesting and thank you for the powerful insights.

When I try to put a WC clock in the taskbar, I get "Taskbar clock replacement is not supported …" BUT after closing the error message, the standard Windows taskbar clock works just fine / upper black picture. So at least here is an annoying work around, just put a clock in the taskbar and close the error message with each reboot.

YET when I do not try to put a WC clock in the taskbar, it thinks it has got a clock, see the lower white picture and note the date is partly obscured. And the clock in the taskbar freezes with the time Windows started.

You need to scroll down to see the full screenshots.

I am running at 3840 by 2160, 60 Hz

Curious!

taskbar shot 1.jpg
taskbar shot 1.jpg (36.1 KiB) Viewed 1744 times

taskbar shot 2.jpg
taskbar shot 2.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 1744 times
JulianNott

Postby Nik » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:27 am

This is my bug.

Broken in build #5324 by adding a check if taskbar clocks are configured, and erroneously still installing the hook in Windows 10 Anniversary and the like in case they are not.

Fixed in build #5330.

Patch below.

Code: Select all
--- C:/Users/Nik/AppData/Local/Temp/main.cpp-rev5329.svn002.tmp.cpp   Fri Aug 19 16:12:08 2016
+++ C:/svn/clock/src/world_clock/main.cpp   Tue Aug 23 17:08:08 2016
@@ -547 +547 @@ int PASCAL WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE
-   if (!CanReplaceTaskbarClock() && HasTaskbarClocks()) {
+   if (!CanReplaceTaskbarClock()) {
@@ -549,3 +549,5 @@ int PASCAL WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE
-      g_Translator.LoadLocString(g_hResDll, IDS_ERROR, filename, MAX_PATH, 0);
-      g_Translator.LoadLocString(g_hResDll, IDS_ERROR_CANT_REPLACE_SYSCLOCK, buffer, MAX_PATH, 0);
-      MessageBox(0, buffer, filename, MB_ICONERROR | MB_OK);
+      if (HasTaskbarClocks()) {
+         g_Translator.LoadLocString(g_hResDll, IDS_ERROR, filename, MAX_PATH, 0);
+         g_Translator.LoadLocString(g_hResDll, IDS_ERROR_CANT_REPLACE_SYSCLOCK, buffer, MAX_PATH, 0);
+         MessageBox(0, buffer, filename, MB_ICONERROR | MB_OK);
+      }

So, download and install a new version of World Clock, hopefully it'll fix the problem.
Nik

Postby JulianNott » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:39 am

Thanks, excuse my ignorance, how do you run the patch?
JulianNott

Postby Nik » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:54 am

JulianNott wrote:Thanks, excuse my ignorance, how do you run the patch?

Do an update operation from the software itself, if will send a request to the build server to custom-make a new installer for you, or just use your download link by typing it in browser or clicking on it. Under the hood, a new build is made, signed, packaged, and delivered. You then run a new installer on your local system, which should reflect a new build number in one of the installer windows, unless you do a silent install.

Ignore the patch code, it is there for illustration of the problem (I was not setting the "no hook" flag properly).
Nik

Postby JulianNott » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:14 am

I am still confused. If I right click a clock on and click "Update" it says I have the latest version. And "About" says 6.0.0.5330... THANKS!
JulianNott

Postby Nik » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:31 am

JulianNott wrote:If I right click a clock on and click "Update" it says I have the latest version. And "About" says 6.0.0.5330... THANKS!

Looks like you already installed an update as 6.0.0.5330 is the latest currently available version. Can you confirm that the problem is fixed or you still see the issue with frozen taskbar clock?
Nik

Postby JulianNott » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:54 am

Progress! Half way there. Rebooted several times to be sure. With no taskbar clock it now works fine. With a taskbar clock it still gives "Taskbar clock replacement is not supported in this version of Windows". Thank you for your patient help. Have owned World Clock for fifteen years [is that possible?] and have always loved it.
JulianNott

Postby admin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:04 pm

JulianNott wrote:With a taskbar clock it still gives "Taskbar clock replacement is not supported in this version of Windows".

The message is there "by design" to inform a user that something is wrong. Specifically, that the OS no longer allows taskbar clock replacement as previous operating systems did.

The intention is to give a user a chance to fix clock settings from "in taskbar" to "on desktop" or, perhaps, use another OS.

Removing this warning is probably not a good idea.
admin

Postby JulianNott » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:10 pm

Actually now I am used to it, I don't miss the taskbar clock much. The Win 10 version is good enough.
JulianNott

Postby srdavis » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:33 pm

it would be nice to put a "timer" on the not supported message so that it disappears after say 8 seconds.
srdavis

Return to World Clock