Windows 10 - desktop configurations

Discussion forum about Anuko World Clock

Windows 10 - desktop configurations

Postby srdavis » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:38 pm

Does anyone have any creative desktop configurations for multiple clocks no that taskbar substitution is not supported? i would love to have a creative pseudo taskbar display that would work. having used the multiple world clock for years it is an annoying loss to not have it any longer in the taskbar. too bad. any creative solutions?
srdavis

Re: Windows 10 - desktop configurations

Postby lorraine673 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 pm

I have found a very simple solution that works for me. Leave the task bar to Windows 10 and move your clocks (I use the classic skin) to the desk top at the top of the page/screen. Then resize your programs (I usually have Word, Firefox, Mailwasher and Thunderbird open) to leave an empty space the same shape and size as the task bar at the top of the screen. You then have effectively two task bars, one for Windows and one for World Clock. Resizing the screens for each of your programs is a small price to pay for the convenience of access to my 6-7 clocks. In fact, it works better because they are not squeezed by competition from the other items on the regular task bar.
lorraine673

Postby ejlr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:26 pm

This is the best feedback on a way to work around this. Can something be organized to petition MS to change whatever they need to on this? Honestly - I've been using this product for about 10 years. It is incredibly annoying to not have these show up on the task bar. I'm just curious how many people are reading these threads and not piping up. I suspect discontent is more widespread than we realize based on the forum here. Any ideas on how we can put pressure on MS? Where can we flood inboxes?
ejlr

Postby alexm » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:42 pm

World clock in the taskbar was one of the most helpful things on my system that I'm really missing right now.
I really hope the developers haven't given up on this out of frustration with ms! Not aiming to tread on any toes but there's a few alternative solutions that would keep me sane and paying...

This shows some of the concepts below: http://bit.ly/2cklSFs
- Make a regular windows toolbar that shows the clock. eg, Networx (on the far left of the image) does this with a graph chart of the network load. (This is the most obvious, elegant? solution imho..)

- Make the taskbar tray icon itself show a small date/location abbreviation.
- On mouseover, it could show the list of locations you have saved, with dates, times etc. Right now, it's just a static icon that does nothing. (I'd hoped for this even before the win10 drama)
- You could go further and let multiple tray icons appear in the taskbar for different locations. eg, Core Temp does this, and shows cpu load, network load, ram load on separate taskbar tray icons (the 3 number icons in the image).
- A world clock taskbar program, that opens minimized, but shows and updates the time on it's taskbar button label. eg, Taskbar Meters does this.

Hopefully something helps, inspires or connects on these. Please keep it up folks, there's literally nothing else even close to world clock out there right now as an alternative!
a
alexm

Postby Lord of Glencoe » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:28 pm

Can you please create some kind of patch so that the clocks will replace the Windows 10 task bar clock as before... it must be something as simple as modifying a config or dll file... but, whatever you do, please do it asap... THANX!
Lord of Glencoe

Postby RichardHK » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Lord of Glencoe wrote:Can you please create some kind of patch so that the clocks will replace the Windows 10 task bar clock as before... it must be something as simple as modifying a config or dll file... but, whatever you do, please do it asap... THANX!

Well what a nasty surprise after doing the latest Windows 10 update. Having no taskbar clocks means World Clock is of no use to me.

As noted by Lord of Glencoe, I really hope a fix comes very soon. Surely not being lost on us.
RichardHK

Postby BobP » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:03 am

losing the ability to replace the ms toolbar clock really reduces the value of having World Clock
BobP

Postby CaliAmChef » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:12 pm

The only reason I have Anuko is to have it in the taskbar. Without that, no reason to keep it.
CaliAmChef

Postby Macko » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:20 pm

Oh come on, Cali! That's like saying your cappuccino is missing the choc sprinkling on top so no reason to drink it. Read the above replies. And no reason to have it on top: just have it immediately ABOVE the taskbar, keeping that wishy-washy clock MS insists on having in the taskbar. In fact, that will show them up even better, having it just above their rubbish.

Of course there is always the alternative. Get a small leak-proof plastic jar, mix 0.5 litres of nitro-glycerine and.....maybe I'd better tell you the rest privately.... :mrgreen:
Macko

Postby drumtruck » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:18 pm

I too miss the taskbar clocks and am hoping for a fix soon. Has anyone heard news that this might happen?
drumtruck

Postby Macko » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:18 am

No but the non-AU version of Win10 (v1511) will still allow the taskbar clock. It's for that reason I did not update my laptop to AU. If you've installed AU within the past 10 days, you can roll back and enjoy the taskbar clock.
Macko

Postby RichardHK » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:37 am

I have just renewed my license for another year. Fingers crossed this issue gets fixed.

Any chance for a comment from Anuko Admin? Will this be fixed sometime soon?
RichardHK

Postby grh1 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:16 am

grh1

Return to World Clock