Stopwatch years and months display options?

Discussion forum about Anuko World Clock

Stopwatch years and months display options?

Postby scer » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello, I just want to start off by saying that I will be using this program mainly for the stopwatch showing elapsed time as a way to combat an addiction. So far this program has been really helpful and truly the best of its kind that I have found. In my opinion though, it is missing one last thing that would make it perfect. I would very much like to see additional display options for counting years and months. Mainly with the years option added, I think it would be extra motivating to hit those marks. I think it's a lot harder to quickly visualize how much time exactly a certain number of days and weeks are, but glancing at a years/months/days format sinks in a lot faster. This would also make it more organized and tidy especially when you get to 1000+ days or 100+ weeks currently. If it's not too much trouble, I think this would be a great motivator and a good way to make the stopwatch more organized and aesthetic. Thank you for your time.
scer

Re: Stopwatch years and months display options?

Postby Nik » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:56 pm

The problem with months and years is they are now exact things with regards to duration. Months can be 28-31 days, and years 365-366. So, there is no way to tell exactly how many "months" or "years" an interval takes. Can you suggest a reasonable workaround for this issue?
Nik

Re: Stopwatch years and months display options?

Postby scer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:23 am

Good point. I should have realized that. I didn't even think about it because I've had several android apps that have managed to incorporate these options, such as time since widget . I'm not sure how it works though. I can see how a months option would be more complicated.

I'm not a programmer, but at least with a years option is it not just the case of setting your start date, September 28, 2016 for example, and then years are reached whenever September 28 comes around again? The only way I could potentially see a problem is if somebody sets the start date as Feb 29th on a leap year. If it isn't as convenient as that, maybe just make a year 365.25 days or require 366 days needed every leap or 4 years. I can't imagine people using the stopwatch for similar reasons as me being too upset about it being off by a couple of hours for having a year setting. I can understand the desire for other people and Anuko to have it as accurate as possible though.
scer

Return to World Clock