Possible to enter time on a weekly basis?

Discussion forum about Anuko Time Tracker

Possible to enter time on a weekly basis?

Postby CoyoteUgly » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi,

I've been looking for a simple and free time and attendance software and I am enthusiast about Anuko. It does everything I need it to do.. except one thing:

Is there a way to "bulk" enter data on a weekly basis? This means have a table with the first colum having a project and then a few tasks (test, design, admin, etc) and then I have each day listed (M, T, W, ...) in different columns, and then I can simply enter the duration for each task for each day on the same page. This would save A LOT of time.

Bonus would be to have a button that "copy" the projects/tasks from the previous week when entering a new week.. but at the very least if data could be entered on a weekly basis it would provide me with a minimum viable solution.

Thank you.
CoyoteUgly

Re: Possible to enter time on a weekly basis?

Postby dalescott » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:22 am

+1 Excellent idea. I expect this would be very popular with typical enterprise weekly engeneering timesheet processes. Personally, I think being able to switch in one's profile to a "standard" weekly format could really boost enterprise users switching from manual/Excel, or who are moving from Doors etc. to save money.

Dale

P.s. Sorry for going off topic if original poster is not enterprise
dalescott

Postby CoyoteUgly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:51 am

Hi,

I'm bumping this subject because I'd hope to hear from the owner of the project. Yes, this is totally to be used in a coroporate environment. We are too small to use some of the big systems, but even at 5 employees, managing Excel spreadsheets isn't manageable. But the daily entering is too cumbersome. A weekly view would be perfect.

Is there any hope to see something like this happen in the future?

Thanks
CoyoteUgly

Postby dalescott » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:57 am

After using TT now for a couple months, I think given a choice, I would prefer having an "Excel" (I.e. CSV) export feature for project management, more than I want weekly time entry. TT could be a really kick-ass project time system for SMEs and large enterprise departments.
dalescott

Postby CoyoteUgly » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Don't you mean IMPORT? People enter their tasks in Excel and then they IMPORT it into TT?

For me the issue is having people needing to enter time on a daily basis.. whereas on a weekly basis is more manageable.
CoyoteUgly

Postby dalescott » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

I really did mean EXPORT. However, after experimenting more with Reports and CSV export I'm now satisfied with TT's existing functionality (I had probably only looked at the Export menu when I first commented). The built-in chart is great to see where a particular resources time was spent, but for project management I'm more interested in how much time was spent by all resources on each task of a specific project, and CSV export to Excel/Libreoffice for charting is a reasonable workaround.

How is it going with your users? Are they accepting the existing time entry workflow? Fwiw, I changed "Record type" in the team profile to "duration" (from "all") and find the UX much simpler (I'm using TT with an engineering team and only need to know how much time was spent on a task, not the start/end times as well).
dalescott

Postby CoyoteUgly » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 pm

I too changed the record type to duration, otherwise it would have been too cumbersome.

But regarding your question, I did NOT deploy this system to my user... it is too time consuming to enter duration EACH DAY... If there could be a matrix view for a whole week, where on the left I see all the various tasks, and then there are columns for each day of the week, and I can enter my whole week at once.

At the moment, unfortunately, I am unable to use this tool, but with this addition, I would definitely deploy it.
CoyoteUgly

Postby dalescott » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:56 am

I'm not following you. Time doesn't have to be entered daily, but I agree selecting one day at a time is tedious and time consuming compared to a one week grid, especially if the tasks could be partially pre-populated (just starting with the same tasks used in the previous timesheet would be a big time savings!).

This is an example of the type of UI that I have been thinking of for weekly time entry (it's TimeLive, a commercial closed-source web app). Were you thinking of something similar?

TimeLive_weekly_timesheet.jpg
TimeLive screenshot
TimeLive_weekly_timesheet.jpg (100.3 KiB) Viewed 550 times

However, I think to get significant enterprise adoption TT would also need: 1) an approval workflow for timesheets (and email notices to user and supervisor if not submitted on time), 2) a new leave request and approval feature (for vacation and other leave requests), and 3) a delegation workflow for when the manager goes on on vacation.

@Nik, do you have any thoughts on whether this new functionality would be technically difficult to develop given current TT architecture? Is this consistent at all with your roadmap for TT? I'm only just starting to read the code and wouldn't know where to start. Is this a plugin? (or a couple plugin's?)

Cheers,
Dale
dalescott

Postby Nik » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:25 pm

One way is to write week_time.php / week_time.tpl pair similar to time.php / time.tpl that would implement what you want.

Occasionally, this request comes up, perhaps it is the time to code it in for someone who has the time to do it.
Nik

Postby dalescott » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks Nik, I'll see how long it takes to figure out the all-time report first. ;-).

If anyone reading this is also interested in weekly time reporting, please reply and perhaps we can share the work. My background is requirements, functional V&V testing, and project coordinating - not so much coding.

FWIW, I would also add a comment field to enter an ad hoc summary comment for the week (in "week entry", the same comment could be copied to all time entries for the week and possibly keep db schema as is (at the cost of keeping essentially duplicate comments). I think is the right way to go and later you can even edit again in "day edit" and add detail if needed. Editing again in "week edit" could be a problem, but could just warn that any existing old data will overwritten, or perhaps better - no going back once edited in "day edit".

This could be really cool!

Btw @Nik, have you ever written anything about the TT architecture? (I.e. top-level documentation). Anything would be appreciated! Fwiw, my only real dev experience (and on only one project) is with the Yii framework. It would be convenient to have a "For Developers" page under Time Tracker on the Anuko website, or perhaps a sticky topic in the forum.

Cheers,
Dale
dalescott

Postby CoyoteUgly » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:44 pm

dalescott wrote:I'm not following you. Time doesn't have to be entered daily, but I agree selecting one day at a time is tedious and time consuming compared to a one week grid, especially if the tasks could be partially pre-populated (just starting with the same tasks used in the previous timesheet would be a big time savings!).

This is an example of the type of UI that I have been thinking of for weekly time entry (it's TimeLive, a commercial closed-source web app). Were you thinking of something similar?

TimeLive_weekly_timesheet.jpg

However, I think to get significant enterprise adoption TT would also need: 1) an approval workflow for timesheets (and email notices to user and supervisor if not submitted on time), 2) a new leave request and approval feature (for vacation and other leave requests), and 3) a delegation workflow for when the manager goes on on vacation.

@Nik, do you have any thoughts on whether this new functionality would be technically difficult to develop given current TT architecture? Is this consistent at all with your roadmap for TT? I'm only just starting to read the code and wouldn't know where to start. Is this a plugin? (or a couple plugin's?)

Cheers,
Dale

When I firs saw your post with the screenshot, I was ecstatic because that's pretty much what I am looking for.

Entering day by day takes way too much time.

I gather from Nik's post that it is not something he will be actively working on... which I assume means that the chances of seeing this implemented are dim.
CoyoteUgly

Postby dalescott » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 pm

I'm sure Nik has a million things on his todo list, and probably most have nothing to do with TT. However, the great thing about open-source is that we can develop the feature if we want it badly enough. I was hoping to see some more people comment though, because my current PHP coding ability isn't something I'm proud of. I'm interested, but I want to cut my teeth first by adding a couple new selections to the reporting interval drop-down. After that I'm willing to look at the files Nik mentioned.

P.S. I didn't ask Nik if a paying client could move this up the priority list (because _I_don't have a paying client! :wink: ), but if you have funding available it would be worth asking.
dalescott

Return to Time Tracker