Using Time Tracker for tax credit claim (e.g. SR&ED)

Discussion forum about Anuko Time Tracker
dalescott

Using Time Tracker for tax credit claim (e.g. SR&ED)

Post by dalescott » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:07 am

Hi all, has anyone used Time Tracker on a project for which a tax credit claim will be made? (e.g. the "SR&ED" program in Canada)

The current behavior of Time Tracker gives the most flexibility, with the user deciding when they enter their time if it is eligible for an SR&ED claim. However, I fear this approach will not be accurate enough for larger enterprise teams or departments. I suggest it would be more accurate to have the project planner or department manager intentionally create project tasks that are SR&ED eligible (or not).

An individual worker in a larger enterprise team may not understand SR&ED claim rules or the business strategy, and may forget to set the flag at all. I expect most businesses will email a table around to project and department members listing tasks eligible for SR&ED, and supervisors will spend time checking timesheets for accuracy against the table. Recording SR&ED eligibility at a task level will save work entering and reviewing time. Of course this requires that project tasks be created with SR&ED eligibility in mind, but I think the increased accuracy, reduced work, and enhanced project visibility will easily justify the setup work up front.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Dale

Nik

Re: Using Time Tracker for tax credit claim (e.g. SR&ED)

Post by Nik » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:08 pm

At some point someone asked for custom fields on projects. I wonder if this was related to SR&ED, and perhaps could be done as part of such customization.