How to deal with same user on multiple teams

Discussion forum about Anuko Time Tracker
dalescott

How to deal with same user on multiple teams

Post by dalescott » Wed May 02, 2018 6:53 pm

Hi, I’ve been using TimeTracker for tracking my own time on client projects. Now I want to use TimeTracker to track the time spent on a client project by *all* the client’s employees and contractors, not just me, to aid project management and project reporting.

I would like the senior employee on the project to be a co-manager, but I don’t want to expose my time spent on other client’s projects, so I created a new team and all employees and contractors on the project are team members. It seems users (specifically me) can only be on one team, so I created a second user ID for myself to use for the new project.

My problem is that now my time spans two teams. Logging into one then the other is annoying, and reporting is complicated. Is there a better solution?

Thanks,
Dale

P.s. I am still using 1.17.12.3902 (but plan to update soon).

Nik

Re: How to deal with same user on multiple teams

Post by Nik » Thu May 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Time Tracker tracks time for a group of users (or a tree of groups - in future).

In case this group is one contractor, then you can have client roles with rights to view relevant info for their projects.

In case this group is an organization like one client, they can have all their employees and contractors as group members.

So, it looks like it is either one way or another, and the two ways do not merge. And probably should not merge. Because merging the two will mix apples and oranges in one basket, which will guarantee mess and issues at some point.

dalescott

Post by dalescott » Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi @Nik, I understand. The best solution seems to be merging my two teams back into one, and to not give the client employee co-manager access. I had ideally wanted to give the client full visibility to "their" team, but restricted access should still be acceptable.

Is there a plan to allow users to be on more than one team? Being able to move users from one team to another depending on the work would be a workaround, although not as convenient.

Cheers,
Dale

Nik

Post by Nik » Sun May 06, 2018 9:48 pm

dalescott wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 6:37 pm
Is there a plan to allow users to be on more than one team? Being able to move users from one team to another depending on the work would be a workaround, although not as convenient.
If they are completely separate groups (one not being a subgroup of another), then what's wrong with having different logins? This seems an obvious, and a clean solution without any extra coding or complications.

Although, theoretically, one could design something to share one login between different groups. The question is whether it is really necessary - as it will bring complications (like a required UI mechanism to switch between groups).