Desktop Position Changes with Monitor size

Discussion forum about Anuko World Clock
srdavis

Desktop Position Changes with Monitor size

Post by srdavis » Thu May 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Anuko World Clock Developer Team

I have set-up the desktop clocks to position themselves in the lower right corner of he screen. (we have long ago lost the task bar for Windows 10.) However, when I dock my laptop to a larger monitor the clocks are then positioning near the middle of the screen (I suppose due to the change in monitor used with the dock). I have "grouped" the clocks so that I can move them together to the correct position. But when I revert to the undocked status, the clocks disappear off screen and I need to show all clocks to get them to reposition on the visible screen.

I there a way to have the clocks auto-position themselves automatically when the resolution or size of the monitor changes? I'm not a code writer and would appreciate if it could be added as a feature to the program.

thanks in advance

lexluthor

Re: Desktop Position Changes with Monitor size

Post by lexluthor » Fri May 25, 2018 12:12 pm

Hi,

I have the same problem and it is really annoying. I use a bunch of 4k monitors and when the screen saver (screen power downs) happen, on resumption the clock move to the middle of the screen. And some 14 clock icons need to be manually moved tot he edge of the screen again ...

Have you had any success or response from Anuko?

srdavis

Post by srdavis » Fri May 25, 2018 3:35 pm

Nothing yet.
As a tip I just discovered, you can right click on each individual clock in place and select "Attach to group". then the clocks will move together when you reposition them. Still a pain to have to do but make the move a single one instead of multiple moves. (I have 11 clocks on screen.)

lexluthor

Post by lexluthor » Sat May 26, 2018 12:27 am

Thanks - that is actually really useful. Seems like this product is nearing end of life and there is little value in renewing the annual subscription :(

Nik

Post by Nik » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:10 am

srdavis wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:30 pm
I have set-up the desktop clocks to position themselves in the lower right corner of he screen. (we have long ago lost the task bar for Windows 10.) However, when I dock my laptop to a larger monitor the clocks are then positioning near the middle of the screen (I suppose due to the change in monitor used with the dock). I have "grouped" the clocks so that I can move them together to the correct position. But when I revert to the undocked status, the clocks disappear off screen and I need to show all clocks to get them to reposition on the visible screen.
Is your docked monitor mirrored or extends the laptop monitor? How exactly do you suggest this feature to work in all possible monitor configurations?

wrc

Post by wrc » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:45 am

You may try handling WM_DISPLAYCHANGE Windows message and perhaps introduce an option to use "relative" desktop clock positions (depending on display size). When display size changes - recalculate positions and move desktop clocks.

Another option is to try using negative coordinates for clock windows, like you already do with the calendar window with NO_PREFERENCES. In this case I suggest negative numbers to be offsets from some known point, such as the right bottom corner of the screen, or perhaps make it user-configurable (from where). There may be a difficulty with extended monitors, in which case you may try using one corner of the taskbar window, as it is likely near which users want their clocks, unless I am mistaken.

markw

Post by markw » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:25 pm

For what it is worth, I have the same general problem. My laptop has a 1080 screen, and then I dock and use a 4K screen, and have it configured as the primary monitor. When switching from 1K to 4K, I have to move the clocks down to the lower right corner. When switching from 4K to 1K, I have to "show all clocks" to see them. wrc's suggestion above seems reasonable, though it might be nice if the clock(s) noticed which edge of the screen they were close to before the display change and automatically adjusted in a sensible manner. For example, if closer to the right edge than the left, then adjust the position in relation to the new right edge, otherwise adjust relative to the new left edge (which I suspect is always 0, so no adjustment is needed). Same thing for bottom and top edges.

Nik

Post by Nik » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:12 pm

I did some code changes to fix the desktop positioning problem when display resolution changes.

At this point, you will have to edit world_clock.ini to use this feature.

Details: a new value called dsk_org (desktop origin) is now used in relative clock sections in world_clock.ini configuration file. It is a number between 0 and 3 with the following meaning:

0 - desktop origin is top left, which is the default.
1 - desktop origin is top right.
2 - desktop origin is bottom right.
3 - desktop origin is bottom left.

When desktop origin and clock coordinates are set in the ini file, they are used together to position a clock relative to a specific screen corner. When display resolution changes, the configuration is reloaded and clock positions remain the same.

STEPS (follow precisely)

- Download and install a new version of world clock (should be 6.1.0 or greater).
- Start, then EXIT the application, so that your changes to world_clock.ini below work.
- Open %APPDATA%\Anuko\World Clock\world_clock.ini file in text editor such as Notepad.
- Edit all desktop clock sections (sections start as [username:clockN]). A clock is a desktop clock when it has the following inside:

Code: Select all

on_desktop=1
For a bottom right scenario, you need to have something like this:

Code: Select all

dsk_org=2
dsk_pos_x=65
dsk_pos_y=21
Notice dsk_org value is 2, which means dsk_pos_x and dsk_pos_y are calculated from the bottom right corner of the desktop work area (excluding taskbar).

- Make sure you have ALL 3 values defined (introduce dsk_org if it is not there), and keep the coordinates relatively small so that you clocks are close to the corner.
- Save the file and start the app. Clocks should now be positioned according to new values.
- Reposition the clocks with a mouse to achieve perfect placement, then exit the app. Exiting the application also writes to the config file. Check the file just in case to see the new values make sense.

Now test changing screen resolution. It should work better now (I hope). If there are any issues please let me know.

Nik

Post by Nik » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:14 pm

UPDATE:

World Clock version 6.1.0.5393 - I added origin selection on the "Appearance on dekstop" page in Preferences.

Select "bottom right" to keep desktop clocks at defined positions relative to the bottom right corner after screen resolution change.

I hope it solves the issue.

origin_selector_in_world_clock_preferences.png
origin_selector_in_world_clock_preferences.png (26.54 KiB) Viewed 69 times

markw

Post by markw » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 am

It is better, but behaving kind of strangely.

I have a bunch of clocks all with "attach to group" true. I have them near the lower right of my screen, stacked atop one another, all of the with the position set to relative to bottom right. I wasn't watching exactly when this happened, but the order of the clocks got mostly reversed... except for the top one. I had them stacked (top to bottom) 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, and now they are stacked 1-7-6-5-4-3-2.

wrc

Post by wrc » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:59 pm

markw wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 am
... the order of the clocks got mostly reversed... except for the top one. I had them stacked (top to bottom) 1-2-3-4-5-6-7, and now they are stacked 1-7-6-5-4-3-2.
My guess is that you were updating Preferences and re-arranging positions of dektop clocks at the same time, meaning that Preferences window was on screen and you were doing something with it, such as maybe adding another clock. This does not work well together (a known issue). Preferences and World Clcok are two separate processes, they both read and write to ini files.

For best results with persistent clock arrangement close the Preferences windows, re-arrange clock positions, then exit and restart World Clock, This last step is important as exiting would write new positions into config file, otherwise it stays in memory (which is a design defect IMHO).

markw

Post by markw » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:30 pm

That worked! Thanks.