How to Reset Password in Time Tracker
Forgotten Time Tracker passwords can be reset if email was provided for an account and other conditions are met as described in the When Resetting Password Is Possible
To reset password, use the Forgot password?
link on Time Tracker login screen. It looks like the picture below. Make sure to point your browser to the correct Time Tracker URL where your account actually exists. For example, if Time Tracker is hosted by your company, you need to go to the URL provided by your systems administrator. If you use Anuko hosting
then you can reset it here
. Trying to reset password on a wrong system will result in No user with this login
"Forgot password" link on Time Tracker login page
If you click the Forgot password?
link you'll see a page like below. To reset password, type in your login name (username) and click the Reset password
Resetting password in Time Tracker
Recovering Forgotten Login / Username
If you don't remember login try typing your email instead. Time Tracker will try to locate your login by email.
Recovering forgotten username / login in Time Tracker
Note: the Reset password
feature works by email. As email addresses are optional in Time Tracker, this feature only works for accounts that have a valid email associated with them. What happens is this:
- Time Tracker tries to find a user in its database.
- If no such user is found and if the login looks like an email, Time Tracker tries to locate a user by email. This is a fallback mechanism, and it is less reliable than searching by login, as the system does not enforce unique emails. This search will fail if Time Tracker has either no users or multiple users with a given email. However, you can still try typing in your email in the login field.
When a user with a valid email is found, Time Tracker sends an email that allows to reset password. If the account does not have an email assigned, you'll see a No email associated with this login
When Resetting Password Is Possible
The Reset password
procedure will work if all
of the following conditions are met:
- Your Time Tracker uses internal database authentication (not LDAP). In other words, AUTH_MODULE is defined as db in config.php.
- You have provided an email for your account. Without email Time Tracker cannot send you anything.
- The system where Time Tracker is installed is properly configured to send mail. Look at MAIL_MODE and MAIL_SMTP_HOST values in config.php.
Resetting User Password by Managers
Managers and co-managers can reset user passwords on the Users
page in Time Tracker by editing their details.
Change passwords on the Users page in Time Tracker
Resetting Manager Password by Admin
Time Tracker admin
can change password for any organization top manager on the Groups
page. To do it:
- Login to Time Tracker as admin. Note that the default password for admin account is "secret".
- Go to the Groups page.
- Click the Edit icon for a corresponding organization and change top manager password on the next screen.
Admin can change organization manager password on the Groups page
Changing Admin Password
To change admin password, login to Time Tracker as admin (default password "secret" without quotes). Then, go to the Options
page and change admin password there.
Changing Passwords in Time Tracker Database
If you have access to Time Tracker database, then nothing stops you from changing passwords there. Password hashes (md5) are stored in the password
field of tt_users
table. The following SQL changes the password for admin
account to newpassword
update tt_users set password = md5('newpassword') where login = 'admin';
Time Tracker User Guide