Shopping Cart with Shipping
Anuko Shopping Cart
is an online checkout solution for websites that integrates a shipping charge calculator. Shipping and handling cost depends on the total weight of the order, and a shipping method / destination.
Why is it relevant? Consider a merchant that sells products online to New Zealand customers and ships via NZ Post. There are many shipping options available, here are just a few:
|Bags under 3 kg|
|Size 1 bag||135 x 240 mm||$3.00
|Size 2 bag||190 x 280 mm||$4.00
|Size 2 bubble bag||210 x 280 mm||$5.00
|Size 3 bag||255 x 325 mm||$5.50
|Size 3 bubble bag||280 x 325 mm||$6.50
|Size 4 bag||280 x 380 mm||$6.50
|Size 4 bubble bag||300 x 380 mm||$7.50
|Size 6 bag||400 x 460 mm||$9.00
|Boxes under 3 kg|
|DLE box||130 x 235 x 70 mm||$2.70
|C5 box||165 x 235 x 70 mm||$3.50
|C4 box||260 x 325 x 70 mm||$5.00
|Foolscap||260 x 385 x 70 mm||$5.90
|Lineflow||395 x 455 x 70 mm||$8.40
|Across town||Within island||Nationwide
|Tracked||$5.50 per each 25kg||$8.50 per each 5 kg||$13.20 per each 5 kg
|Courier||$8.90 per each 25kg||$14.70 per each 5 kg||$31.00 per each 5 kg
|Courier & signature||$14.90 per each 25kg||$20.70 per each 5 kg||$37.00 per each 5 kg
New Zealand Post also offers a couple of surcharges:
- $2.80 for a rural delivery.
- $4.70 for an optional Saturday delivery.
Now, what about shipping supplies? In case I need to buy a bag or box top ship a product? This inevitably incurs an additional expense, depending of type of packaging required.
As you can see, calculating a shipping charge even for a small country like New Zealand can be quite complex. Anuko Shopping Cart
solves this problem by providing you with a tool that automatically calculates shipping and handling cost.
Shopping Cart Presentation
While there are plenty of shipping options available, you don't want to overwhelm users with them. Checkout process should be simple and straightforward. Anuko Shopping Cart addresses this via customization.
When you cart is set up, we connect it with only the most relevant shipping options, where the shipping charge calculation formula is hand-crafted for you, depending on your needs. For example, if you mostly ship within one country and with only one shipping provider, then delivery methods relevant to this provider are configured. We also usually include a Custom
method, with which a customer can enter any amount quoted by you.
Shopping cart presentation example - shipping methods are hidden in a dropdown
Consider a shopping cart example on the picture above. See how shipping methods are hidden from view in a dropdown selector. Users can change the shipping method and instantly see an updated shipping charge and total.
Shipping method selector allows users to change delivery method
Users interact with your shopping cart and can change the shipping method. In the example above, 8 delivery methods are configured in online store.
- North Island - a default shipping method, usually the one merchant ships most often with.
- North Island courier - a variation of the default delivery method, including courier shipping.
- South Island - an easy way for a New Zealand shopper to identify delivery area, internally this is NZ Post nationwide shipping when merchant is shipping from the North Island.
- South Island courier - same as above with courier delivery.
- Auckland - the Across town option from New Zealand Post shipping rate tables. Apparently, the merchant is located in Auckland for this to work as designed.
- Auckland courier - Across town delivery with courier dispatch.
- Pickup - no shipping charge option for customers doing their own delivery.
- Custom (inquire) - this method allows to enter any shipping and handling amount in the box provided (explained below).
This example has 8 delivery methods that are custom-made for an Auckland-based online merchant. For a Christchurch merchant, things would be different. Instead of Auckland and Auckland courier shipping options, we'd set up Christchurch delivery instead.
Changing shipping method automatically recalculates shipping charge and total
No shipping charge for pickups
It is unrealistic to anticipate all possible shipping variations for online merchants, especially for those who ship worldwide. Shipping methods that are most common to merchant are usually included in the shipping method selector. This keeps things simple. All other methods can be handled by the additional Custom
option, which requires shoppers to inquire and then set the shipping charge in the box.
Here is how custom shipping works. Suppose a shopper from Australia wants to buy from a New Zealand store.
- They shops online on the website and put items in their shopping cart.
- When ready to checkout, they play with the Shipping selector and do not see anything related to Australia shipping.
- However, there is a Custom (inquire) option on the bottom. It allows them to ask you for a shipping quote. They contact you, put the quoted amount in the box, and proceed directly to checkout.
Using custom shipping in shopping cart
Shipping and Handling Formula Examples
With Anuko Shopping Cart, each online merchant can have customized formulas (algorithms) that are specific to merchant. Here are just a few ideas of what you can have.
- By weight only - $5.00 if less than 3kg, otherwise $8.50 for each 5kg or portion.
- By weight with packaging cost - $5.00 + $1.50 if less than 3kg, otherwise $8.50 + 1.50 for each 5kg or portion.
- By weight with packaging and handling - $5.00 + $2.30 if less than 3kg, otherwise $8.50 + 2.00 for each 5kg or portion.
- By weight with rural delivery surchage - $5.00 + $2.80 if less than 3kg, otherwise $8.50 for each 5kg or portion + $2.80 rural delivery surcharge.
- By weight with Saturday delivery - $5.00 + $4.70 if less than 3kg, otherwise $8.50 for each 5kg or portion + $4.70 Saturday delivery surcharge.